Friday, October 8, 2010

Week 'o Networking

We started out this week with our first midterm – accounting. Surprisingly, I was not all that worried about the exam. Just as surprising, midterms didn’t sneak up on me this year like they always do. I wasn’t at all caught off guard, which may have attributed to how easy it was to prepare. I think I did really well, so yay! (UPDATE: I made a 99%!)

After the exam, the rest of the week was, in a word, fun. I had an “interview” on Tuesday, that I think went very well (fingers crossed!), and on Wednesday, we spent the entire day at the Center for Retailing Excellence Annual Conference. Before I continue, I should warn you, I’m a bit of a geek…okay, that’s out of the way. Now, you know how some people get excited about going to a concert or seeing their favorite sports team play? Well, I was that excited about this conference. Why? Well, Kevin Roberts was one of the speakers!

Are you staring at the screen thinking “who on earth is Kevin Roberts?” Yeah, not surprised (if, however, you do know who he is, we should be friends). For the rest of you, Kevin Roberts is the CEO of Saatchi & Saatchi and the author of Lovemarks – the book that made me fall in love with this crazy business we call marketing. If you haven’t read it, you should. It’s brilliant. As is he. Click the link on his name for more info.    

Needless to say, I wasn’t disappointed by his presentation. It was hilarious and informative and interesting – I could be biased, but I was pretty impressed. He included some pretty funny videos, too (links below…but read the rest of the post first, please). The rest of the conference was good, too. Bill Simon & Bob McDonald spoke along with several others. Plus, there were a lot of “networking breaks” for us to meet some of the presenters (I got to shake Kevin Robert’s hand!...yes, I know I’m a geek…we already covered that, move on). I think we all really enjoyed the conference, and I’m glad we were able to go (especially for free since none of us could have afforded to attend without Walton’s help).

On Thursday, our week of networking continued with a visit to Saatchi & Saatchi X’s office here in Fayetteville. We met with several people (one from each of the divisions) and got a tour of the office. We got some useful information out of it as well as several business cards (which are always nice).

Today was fairly uneventful – I worked from home since my bosses are out of the country again. A friend is bringing her puppy over later to spend the weekend with us while she and her husband travel to Dallas for the game on Saturday. Gigi is pretty excited – she wiggles every time I say Bella’s name. A puppy sleepover should make this weekend fairly entertaining. I’m sure there will be pictures.

Oh, almost forgot, those links to the videos. Here you go. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment