Monday, February 21, 2011

No, I'm not dead. There was snow.

I do apologize for the lack of updates. Life has been, how should I put it...jumbled.

There was snow. Then ice ('cause the snow melted and re-froze). Then more snow. Then a little more snow. Here's a draft I typed up in the middle of it, but never published:
We've been snowed in for the past two days, and tomorrow doesn't look promising. In fact, they've already cancelled school tomorrow (and upwards of 500 other places around town). It's ridiculous. Some of the phrases that have been used on Twitter lately to describe the past few days:Snowpocalypse - Snowmageddon - Snowverwhelming - Snowverreaction - Snowverdrive - Snowverboard - SnowMG - Oh, Snow you didn't!...it's getting ridiculous.
Mind you...that was during the FIRST round of snow...not the second round where we got two feet. We basically missed two full weeks of classes. THAT resulted in piles of "make-up" work (the quotations exist 'cause the teachers weren't supposed to give "make up" work, so instead we found ourselves blessed with surprise "extra" assigned readings/viewings/chapters/etc). Now that I've dug myself out of both the snow AND the work, I can breathe a little bit (and blog!)

Okay, first, before you get to bored with this likely long update, I'd like to let you know about two fairly interesting events that will be happening at Walton soon.

First, on Thursday (2/24), GWIB (Graduate Women in Business) and NWAYP (Northwest Arkansas Young Professionals) are partnering to bring a fantastic panel to campus. The event is called "Working the Career Ladder to your Advantage," and features female executives from the area discussing how to balance life and work successfully. It will be a wonderful networking opportunity. Contact info is listed on the flyer below. No reservations are required, but come early - there is a seating limit!


Next, the GSB will be hosting their annual Spring Social on March 10th from 6 to 8 pm at Powerhouse in Fayetteville. This event is always fun, and is a great opportunity to meet current, future, and prospective students and ask questions. I'll update with more info as the event gets closer, but go ahead and put it on your calendar!

Now, on to more of a life update.

Work
Dannon is still awesome. This past week our entire team has been in Vegas for the annual sales meeting, so the office was SUPER quiet (i.e. I got a lot done). We've turned in our first round of reports to Walmart (which is tricky at the beginning of a new year because there are always glitches), so the reports should be smooth from now on. Also, we are awaiting the arrival of a new intern soon (can you believe that tomorrow will mark a year that I have been with Dannon?!?). My job for the rest of the semester will be focused on prepping the new intern to do my job...weird, but exciting.

School
Classes are going well-ish. We're all feeling a bit swamped at this exact moment, but we're making it. I'm only taking three classes this semester (India counted for what would have been my fourth), so my workload is lighter than most people's (a rarity in my world). I really like our profs & classes this semester:

  • Vikas Anand is teaching Strategic Management (required for everyone)
  • Jim Webster is teaching Retail Finance (retail elective)
  • Nicole Cox is teaching Retail Strategy (retail elective)

We'll be doing a good deal of field research and work in two of our classes - that could be interesting. I'll keep you updated.

Life
I REALLY NEED A JOB
that kind of sums it up right now...
I've talked to several maybes, but they've all remained just that...maybes. I'd really like to find a "yes" somewhere among all that. Fingers crossed that happens soon...graduation is in 82 days...

I've been throwing lots of parties lately, so that keeps me happy and occupied. Most recently we had a Valentine's Day gathering at which we celebrated all the classic Valentine's cliches - rose petals, candles, fancy dinners, chocolates. Here are a few of my favorite pictures:



Also, Gigi had a Valentine's date! Her beau Malbec came over for dinner. Aren't they sweet? (Just nod in agreement and humor me)
That's all for now. I'll do better with updates from now on. Promise. 'Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment