Friday, December 24, 2010

It's not Christmas until...

Confession: I'm a creature of habit. I like routine, tradition, consistency. Every year, as Christmas time rolls around, several things have to happen for it to really be "Christmas."

First, I don't listen to Christmas music until I have seen Santa in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Then, for it to really be Christmas, there are four songs I need to hear:
1) O Holy Night ~ Josh Groban
2) Baby, It's Cold Outside ~ Zooey Deschanel & Leon Redbone
3) Believe ~ Josh Groban
4) Emmanuel ~ Amy Grant

Next, my mother and I do most of our Christmas shopping on Black Friday. After dinner, we sit down, go through ads, and develop a plan of attack with the same fervor and precision as an army general. Then, the next morning, list in hand and coffee in tow, we leave the house (usually before dawn), brave the lines and crowds, collect gifts, and convene for coffee and breakfast all by about 10 am.

Once I'm "home" for Christmas, the traditions continue:

First, we set up the tree (last minute, usually...which we make up for by leaving it up til Valentine's Day) and put on several key ornaments: a golden firetruck (for my grandfather), a few painted eggs (made by my Mom's best friend from high school who was taken from us by breast cancer), a singing teddy bear (from Mom & Dad's first Christmas) and a rocking horse (from my first Christmas).

We wrap presents (again, usually last minute...normally because Mom's forgotten where she's hidden them) and pile them around the tree...if we can get the cat to give up her self-appointed post long enough to arrange them.

We have Christmas Eve dinner and we open ONE gift. It's ALWAYS pajamas...always. But, we're always "surprised" to get them. Mom started this tradition years ago so that we would look "cute" for pictures the next day.

Then, we curl up on the couch, clad in our new Christmas pajamas, and watch The Santa Clause (the one with Tim Allen) before heading to bed.

Over the years, the traditions have changed a little, some things have been added and some have been lost, but it's the same general set. I love it - I love the regularity, the way I can depend on it every year, right down to the last minute wrapping and scrambling. It's my family and it's beautiful.

This year was a bit different. We opened ALL of our gifts on Christmas Eve (I have to leave early Christmas morning to make it back to Fayetteville for my flight to India). Also, my little brother couldn't make it home due to work obligations. But, despite the physical distance, he was able to Skype in and we still got to unwrap presents as a family. Thanks, technology!

So now, I'm curled up on the couch, with my puppy snuggled in my lap, sipping hot cocoa and watching The Santa Clause with Daddy. I hope you and your families have similarly happy traditions and that you are warm and cozy tonight. Merry Christmas, dear readers! Best Wishes to you and yours - enjoy every minute!

2 comments:

  1. Add a pickle ornament to you list of must have ornaments. Tradion says that is it good luck for anyone who finds the pickle on your tree! It is one of the many must have ornaments on the tree at the francis house. Love all the tradtion; I knew there was a reason we were such good friends.

    PS Speaking of Tradion, you best call me when you make snow cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel better, you merely adopted the Cowper/Sparkman family tradition of opening presents on Christmas Eve. My mom's family has been doing that for nearly sixty years now. Also, the gnome is on the tree with my new Busch Stadium and Fox Theatre ornaments.

    ReplyDelete